Are you a vegan and searching for a plant-based protein? Then you should try soy protein which is an excellent source of protein for both vegetarians and vegans. This protein source is derived from a type of legume called soybean. Soy protein is also great for those who are lactose intolerant and wants to avoid dairy.
Soy protein can be divided into three major categories:
- Soy protein isolate.
- Soy protein concentrate
- Textured soy protein (TSP) / textured vegetable protein (TVP)
Soy protein is known as a complete protein, which means consuming this low fat (saturated), and no cholesterol protein will provide your body with all the nine essential amino acids.
Difference between whey protein and soy protein:
|Serial no:||Difference in||Whey Protein||Soy Protein|
|1||Texture||Whey protein is much smoother and creamier||Soy protein has a grain-like texture with a nutty taste|
|2||Rich in nutrients||Whey protein contains higher amounts of leucine, isoleucine, valine, lysine and methionine||Soy protein contains higher amounts arginine, tryptophan and phenylalanine|
|3||Type of protein||It is derived from animal||It is derived from plant|
|4||Minerals and vitamins||Whey protein is a rich source of iron, calcium, magnesium, phosphorus and potassium||Soy protein is a rich source of vitamin E, vitamin B complex, phosphorous, zinc, iron and potassium|
Benefits of soy protein:
There are numerous benefits of consuming soy protein, which makes it the right choice for vegetarians and vegans who want to build muscles and achieve their health goals in a short span. The benefits of consuming soy protein foods and supplements are as follows:
- Helps reducing cholesterol levels and therefore suitable for improving your heart health
- Helps achieving a lean physique
- Helps building muscles
- Helps in the rapid recovery of muscles and tissues after a rigorous workout
- Helps in proper digestion due to the presence of dietary fibers
- An excellent source of good fats or polyunsaturated fats
- Helps reducing any free radical damage to the tissues and cells of our body
- An excellent source of omega3 fatty acids
- Helps improving female reproductive health and reducing pre-menstrual crampings
- Helps enhancing your energy levels and improving your performance
- Helps strengthening your bones and muscles
- Helps improving your immunity
- Helps reducing weight
Some of the best supplements are:
- Nouriza 100% Vegan Soy Protein
- Natures Velvet 100 % Soy Protein Isolate
- Big Muscles Xtreme Muscle Fusion
- Dr. Patkar’s Family Protein
- Tara Nutricare Veg Protein
- GNC Soy Protein Powder
- ProFoods Soy Protein Isolate 90% Powder
- Dr. Patkar’s Family Protein
You can find these supplements from any online supplement stores or retail stores. These products are the best selling powders and are also available in delicious flavors.
Conclusion: If you are a vegan and want to build muscles, then you should try soy protein supplements. However, along with supplements, you should never skip your exercise regime. Make sure you eat the right type of foods and in the right quantities. Also, do not exceed the recommended dosage of protein as mentioned by your doctor or by the brand.